Re: unexplained network problems

Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> writes:

> ifconfig eth0 down
> rmmod tulip     # using this driver for my netgear fs310tx nic
> modprobe tulip
> /etc/rc.d/networking restart
> bash: /etc/rc.d/networking: No such file or directory
> route add gw 192.168.0.1
> gw: host name lookup failure
> ping 192.168.0.1
> ping: sendto: network is unreachable

You meant "/etc/init.d/networking", not "/etc/rc.d/networking".
(Also, your "route add" command had the wrong syntax as someone else
pointed out, but you shouldn't need the "route add" command if your
"/etc/init.d/networking" command works properly.)  In other words, you
reloaded the module, which might have had some effect, but you didn't
bring the interface back up.  That's why the ping failed here.

> The light for this nic on my switch was on and blinking so I removed
> it and reinserted; stopped blinking, went through the commands above
> again with similar results and then rebooted.

Depending on your switch, this may mean the switch didn't like the way
the NIC was behaving and automatically disconnected it from the
network (until you disconnected and reconnected the cable).  Usually,
of course, the LED blinks when there's activity.  Was this a different
kind of blink than the usual activity blink, say a different colour or
a different blinking rate?

You said there were 1311 TX errors in the "ifconfig" output.  The
Tulip driver sometimes writes information to the logs.  Do you have
any lines like:

        eth0: Transmit error, Tx status NNNNNNN.

or any other network-related lines in the kernel logs during the
malfunction?

Without further information, it looks like your NIC (either because
it's faulty or there's a problem with the Tulip driver) is behaving
badly---jabbering or causing too many collisions---and the switch is
disconnecting it from the network so it doesn't bring everything
down.

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>