Re: unexplained network problems

At 05:51 PM 3/5/2004, Kevin Buhr wrote:

You meant "/etc/init.d/networking", not "/etc/rc.d/networking".

Heh, explains one problem, thanks Kevin.

(Also, your "route add" command had the wrong syntax as someone else
pointed out, but you shouldn't need the "route add" command if your
"/etc/init.d/networking" command works properly.)  In other words, you
reloaded the module, which might have had some effect, but you didn't
bring the interface back up.  That's why the ping failed here.

Whereas rebooting actually did bring the interface back up, which probably means that my /etc/init.d/networking script is ok?

These are the pertinent lines from the networking script, right?

restart)
        echo -n "Reconfiguring network interfaces: "
        ifdown -a
        ifup -a
        echo "done."

so I could've just done

%ifdown -a && ifup -a

Depending on your switch

Netgear FS605 -- no complaints with it so far

of course, the LED blinks when there's activity.  Was this a different
kind of blink than the usual activity blink, say a different colour or
a different blinking rate?

A fast steady blink, normal color (green for that particular nic). The steadiness is what made it look strange, even during large data transfers I notice the lights are sporadic to some degree, plus it'd never be only one light blinking that long by itself since some other box on the lan would be on the sending or receiving end of the transfer.

You said there were 1311 TX errors in the "ifconfig" output.

Correct.

The Tulip driver sometimes writes information to the logs. Do you have any lines like:

        eth0: Transmit error, Tx status NNNNNNN.

or any other network-related lines in the kernel logs during the malfunction?

Newbie here, where are the kernel logs? I'm not ashamed to admit being an idiot, obviously ;x

Without further information, it looks like your NIC (either because
it's faulty or there's a problem with the Tulip driver) is behaving
badly---jabbering or causing too many collisions---and the switch is
disconnecting it from the network so it doesn't bring everything
down.

If it's either the nic or the driver I vote for the driver since that nic's identical twin is installed on my wife's workstation which is running w98.

Although it's worth mentioning that the first time this happened about a month ago I reinstalled the os on my wife's workstation. Is it plausible that these two nics being the same card model something related to one could upset the other, or is that way too big a reach?

Unfortunately this sounds like a situation where the problem will either resurface, or bug me to death wondering why if it doesn't it happened to begin with.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml