Re: kernel source tree

On Friday 05 March 2004 17:34, CW Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:56:33AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Friday 05 March 2004 01:39, CW Harris wrote:
> > > On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:34:27PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> <snip><snip>
>
> So you cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/, it contains "Makefile" and
> Rules.make,

Yes. That is the situation.

> and when you issue "make-kpkg modules-image" it still says:
> > >   "We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source
> > > directory tree..."

Yes.

> That sounds strange.  I suppose the modules-image target might
> require that you build the kernel first, but if that is the case I
> would expect a different error message than that.
>
> I took a quick look at the kernel-package docs, including the
> README.modules, and I didn't get any clues from that.
>
> The only other thing I can suggest is to look for documentation in
> the thinkpad module directory that suggests other steps required.

Thanks for trying to help, Chris.  I am following the instructions
in /usr/share/doc/thinkpad-source/README.Debian.  I had planned to take
this machine with me to Italy next week.  But now I have no time for
all this, so it will have to wait a few weeks.  The instructions do
offer an alternative route without using kernel package, by downloading
a tarball instead and, if I understand it right, running make-dep and
then "the script debian/buildpkg" - which I suppose is in the tarball.
I might give that a shot in April.  Or maybe there will be a later
version to try by then.  If so, it might happen to work for me.

--
richard