kernel source tree

Another really dim question coming up...

I'm trying to install thinkpad drivers for Debian. Instructions say to
unpack the thinkpad.tar.gz (no problem there) and then to "cd to the
root of the source tree for the kernel for which you want to compile
modules, e.g., /usr/src/linux. Run 'make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot
modules-image'..."  I innocently assumed the root of the source tree
would be /usr/src/linux-2.4.22.  But when I do  'make-kpkg
modules-image', I get:
  "We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
tree..."
So I am evidently wrong.  I tried installing (via aptitude) the
kernel-source-2.4.22 package, and also kernel-headers-2.4.22-xfs-386,
but that didn't help.

Can someone kindly tell me what is meant by "the root of the source
tree"?

I really shall have to find time to learn about sources and compiling
one day -- it is always like cooking while blindfolded and with a
clothes-peg on your nose...

--
richard