Re: gnome-panel woes (clock not available)

On Fre, 2004-03-05 at 12:46, Michael Graham wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > Without apparent reason, the clock applet has vanished from my panel.
> > All attempts to add it were in vain.
> > The fun part: if I run the panel from xterm (killall gnome-panel &&
> > gnome-panel) the clock is back.

> Have you tried creating another user (assuming you've got root) and
> logging in as them?

It doesn't work for others, either. Also, I do not quite understand
where's the difference. I don't know which process is responsible for
(re-)starting gnome-panel -- but regarding UID, permissions, configfiles
etc it should bear no relevance whether it is started automatically by
<whatever> or manually from an xterm window.
The only difference I can imagine would be some environment being
exported or not when I launch the panel from xterm. But then, why should
this prevent the clock from starting?

As all of this happens in absolute silence, I also can't make out what
is going on.

cu,
Schnobs