Re: Debian Drivers -- Dell 2350

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 19:09, Kent West wrote:
> David Clymer wrote:

> >>I've had trouble with the 82845G on a Dell Optiplex GX270, but it turned
> >>out to actually be a problem with the BIOS version on that computer. It
> >>had version A03, which apparently doesn't report to the OS the shared
> >>video memory size correctly; downgrading to A01 fixes the problem. The
> >>driver that should be used is i810, I believe, but I can only get
> >>success with the VESA driver. Again, this is GX270-specific, not
> >>82845G-specific.
> >>

> >How exactly did you downgrade the bios? My attempts to do that all
> >failed. I would run the A01 bios flash utility (from dell), and it
> >_appears_ to work (says all the stuff that makes one think it is
> >working: "attempting to update bios", etc, and get no failure messages)
> >but the bios remains unchanged.
> >
> >Also, how successful are you? IOW, what are the resulting capabilities
> >with respect to colors/resolution?
> >
> >-davidc
> >

> I used this file:
> http://faculty.acu.edu/~westk/GX270A01.EXE
>
> In my searching for a solution, I found a posting somewhere, and the
> poster offered this file. I grabbed it, hoping it was legit (but for all
> I know, I'm now 0wn3d at the BIOS level).

I took the same gamble, but I also found & used the "official" versions
from dell's site, with the same results.

> I just double-clicked on it from within WindowsXP Pro, expecting it to
> unzip, and instead it popped up a window offering to flash my BIOS. I
> allowed it to, rebooted, and there I was looking at an A01 version
> instead of A03.

I didnt do it from XP, since I dont have it installed. I used a win98
boot disk, though I cant imagine that would be the problem..

> I still can't use the i810 driver, but with the VESA driver I can get
> 1600x1200x24 on a Dell 17" flat-panel. No DRI.

Same monitor I'm using. *scratches his head*

I must be doing something wrong. If I could only figure out what it
is...

Oh well, thanks for the help.

-davidc