Re: Debian Drivers -- Dell 2350

Bob Tilley (AT&T) wrote:

I plan on moving my Debian installation from my 600MHz machine to my Dell 2.1GHz box.

Drivers exist for graphics (Intel 82845G) and networking (Broadcom 4401) at the site http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/0/16b775253fa0d477ca256d07001cd06c?OpenDocument.  The last driver sought is for the ADP sound driver.

A review describes KNOPPIX 3.2 installed on a Dell 2350 being totally functional.  However, I want to be l337 by downloading drivers and manually installing Debian + drivers on the Dell.

Can someone help with this task?  What sound driver would Knoppix be using?

Robert Tilley

I've had trouble with the 82845G on a Dell Optiplex GX270, but it turned out to actually be a problem with the BIOS version on that computer. It had version A03, which apparently doesn't report to the OS the shared video memory size correctly; downgrading to A01 fixes the problem. The driver that should be used is i810, I believe, but I can only get success with the VESA driver. Again, this is GX270-specific, not 82845G-specific.

I've also had trouble with a Broadcom (don't remember model), but that was with a 2.2 kernel. Once I upgraded to a 2.4 kernel, it worked fine. I don't remember the driver however.

About the sound, what does "lspci" report? Alternatively, you can boot up a Knoppix CD and run "lsmod" to see what modules are loaded for the sound card.

--
Kent