Re: php in woody acting very strange

Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> writes:

> Here are two different pages:
> One loads fine, the other doesn't load, wants to be downloaded.
> I can't see why. This may seem offtopic, some may want to send me to a
> php list. However, this behaviour began only after woody upgrade, and
> netsaint installation. The only difference in the two pages, including
> blank lines, is shown below. It seems very weird to me.

It has to do with the apache configuration.  What matters is the
content-type apache thinks the files are, and whether it decides to
try to execute the file and send its output, or send the contents of
the file directly.

A few things to check for:

the php module is being loaded
the file extensions have the correct MIME type registered

If different files are behaving differently, check what differs about
them.  For example, are they in different directories?  Different
ownership/permissions?

It might help in troubleshooting to pay close attention to apache's
access log and error log.  I also find that manually conducting an
http session via netcat or telnet to port 80 helps a lot in many
cases.  This way you can see exactly what the server is sending back,
eliminating much of the guess work about the browser's behavior
(though in this case, it sounds like it's definitely a server-side
problem, so forget I used the word 'browser').

good times,
Vineet