Re: How can I make startx start Gnome, instead of KDE?

stan wrote:

I'm fighting a rather strange problem that I trigered when I built a new
kernel. I've got a amchien that I was running gdm on, and loging in
through that I got a Gnome session. Now GDM crashes. But strangley enough startx does not (scratches head). IBut start starts a KDE session.

Is it GDM that's crashing, or the wm you're starting when you log into GDM? (IOW, it's it crashing before or after you log in?)

How can I make startx start a Gnome session?

Create the file .xinitrc in your home directory (notice the dot); in that file put the single line of the wm or de you want to start; here's what mine looks like:

westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> cat .xinitrc
#sawfish &
#icewm
#gnome-session
startkde
#flwm &
#blackbox &
#fvwm95 &
#larswm &
#galeon
#while :; do galeon; done
#fvwm95
#xterm
#gnome-panel &
#twm
#wmaker
#xfwm

I just uncomment whichever one I want to start.

--
Kent