How can I make startx start Gnome, instead of KDE?

I'm fighting a rather strange problem that I trigered when I built a new
kernel. I've got a amchien that I was running gdm on, and loging in
through that I got a Gnome session. Now GDM crashes. But strangley enough
startx does not (scratches head). IBut start starts a KDE session.

How can I make startx start a Gnome session?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin