Re: exim "Frozen" messages?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:26:50AM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:14:15AM -0500, stan wrote:
> > I've got a smail mailserver using Debain and exim. I noticed that some
> > messages have stoped getting through. Looking in /var/log/exim/mailog,
> > I see lot's of entries about messages being "frozen". What does this
> > mean?
> >
> > And how can I further troubleshoot teh problem?
>
> I think they'll eventually be purged but you can also do it yourself.
> Run 'mailq' to get a list of them and then 'exim -Mrm <id>' to get rid
> of them.

This will remove the messages.  Perhaps you want to investigate why they
were frozen first (e.g. non-deliverable address, etc?).  When that
problem is fixed they can be thawed and they will be delivered.  See the
exim documentation (excerpt from ..doc/exim/spec.txt.gz):

    3.3 Life of a message

    A message remains in the spool directory until it is
    completely delivered to its recipients or to an error address,
    or until it is deleted by an administrator or by the user who
    originally created it. In cases when delivery cannot proceed -
    for example, when a message can neither be delivered to its
    recipients nor returned to its sender, the message is marked
    'frozen' on the spool, and no more deliveries are attempted.

    An administrator can 'thaw' such messages when the problem
    has been corrected, and can also freeze individual messages
    by hand if necessary. In addition, an administrator can force
    a delivery error, causing an error message to be sent.

    There is also an "auto_thaw" option, which can be used to cause
    Exim to retry frozen messages after a certain time. When this
    is set, no message will remain on the queue for ever, because
    the delivery timeout will eventually be reached. Delivery
    failure reports that reach this timeout are discarded.

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.