Re: Asking for help: installing debian on Athlon needing nvidia driver

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> You should start a new thread for a new question.  You are more likely
> to catch people that way, should they be cruisin'n'bruisin' by Subject in a
> threaded reader.

   Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean, since i just sent in a message
with my own subject. Isn't that starting a new thread? But,
nevertheless...

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:50:09PM -0800, Sis wrote:
> >    I just acquired a 2 year old computer with Athlon 1800+
> >    Any clues as to how i can install Debian on this box, using the
> > onboard nic, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Caveat: IANAG. I'm not sure how tight the ties are between the kernel
> and BIOS on things like onboard NICs, but the first place I'd start is
> in BIOS, looking to disable the onboard one.

   Bingo! Thank you very much. That's what i did and the nic i
inserted is working just fine. Now, if i could just get the nic part
of the nvidia onboard to work i would really be thrilled.

> The Linux section on that forum seems relatively sharp about this sort
> of stuff.  You might consider signing up ( www.amdmb.com and follow the
> forum link) and posting the question there too.  They'll need much more
> information about the MB, of course, as well as possibly the stock
> kernel being used.  Others here likely could use that info as well. ;-)

   I will check out their forum.

   Thank you again.

ps

> Kenward
> --
> In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
> _teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,
> because passing civilization along from one generation to the next
> ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone
> could have.     - Lee Iacocca

   I couldn't agree more.