Re: [OT] Dual Athlon motherboards - recommendations?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:47:01PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya pigeon
>
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > Anyone care to recommend me a dual Athlon motherboard? Requirements:
> >
> > - cheap :-)
> > - DDR 266MHz min, 333MHz preferred
> > - does *NOT* have an nVidia chipset
> > - 5 (or more) PCI slots, ideally inc. one 64-bit slot
>
> that is the problme ... 5 or more pci and 64bit slot... you're asking for
> the needle in the haystack
> 	- why do you need 5 pci slots ??

64-bit: LVD SCSI card
32-bit: non-LVD SCSI card
        NIC (unless on-board)
		Sound (insisting on on-board CMI8738DX is too restrictive!)
		Video (would prefer not to have to hack svgatextmode again)

> > I've been googling for the past 2 hours and they seem rather thin on
> > the ground; also online stores' search engines lack functionality,
> > making it hard to find one or two dual-CPU boards among hundreds of
> > single-CPU boards.
>
> yup.... tooo many junk links from google
> and i assume the same to hold for froogle ??

Froogle? <googles> Oh, very useful! Thanks... but limited in
usefulness due to being USA-focussed. (froogle.google.co.uk appears to
resolve to uk.dyndns.org, and doesn't answer...)

Many thanks for your links... they got me some useful results. My
choice appears to be between:

   Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P
   MSI K7D Master [L]
   Tyan Tiger MP[X]

all available for around 140 quid (or in the USA about 140 dollars...
hmm... have to check out customs duties and stuff.) Great, now I'm
getting somewhere!

Cheers,

--
Pigeon