Re: [OT] Dual Athlon motherboards - recommendations?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:47:01PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya pigeon
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:
> > Anyone care to recommend me a dual Athlon motherboard? Requirements:
> >
> > - cheap :-)
> > - DDR 266MHz min, 333MHz preferred
> > - does *NOT* have an nVidia chipset
> > - 5 (or more) PCI slots, ideally inc. one 64-bit slot
> that is the problme ... 5 or more pci and 64bit slot... you're asking for
> the needle in the haystack
> 	- why do you need 5 pci slots ??

64-bit: LVD SCSI card
32-bit: non-LVD SCSI card
        NIC (unless on-board)
		Sound (insisting on on-board CMI8738DX is too restrictive!)
		Video (would prefer not to have to hack svgatextmode again)

> > I've been googling for the past 2 hours and they seem rather thin on
> > the ground; also online stores' search engines lack functionality,
> > making it hard to find one or two dual-CPU boards among hundreds of
> > single-CPU boards.
> yup.... tooo many junk links from google
> and i assume the same to hold for froogle ??

Froogle? <googles> Oh, very useful! Thanks... but limited in
usefulness due to being USA-focussed. (froogle.google.co.uk appears to
resolve to uk.dyndns.org, and doesn't answer...)

Many thanks for your links... they got me some useful results. My
choice appears to be between:

   Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P
   MSI K7D Master [L]
   Tyan Tiger MP[X]
all available for around 140 quid (or in the USA about 140 dollars...
hmm... have to check out customs duties and stuff.) Great, now I'm
getting somewhere!

Be kind to pigeons