how does make-dpkg (and linux/debian) map modules?

How does Debian (3.0r2 2.4.18 kernel and lilo) find its modules if
you compile a tweaked kernel?  I'm not getting it right and hope
someone can help.

TIA,

Chris

Long story:
I've cracked via-rhine problem I had, now all I need is the get RAID-
1 mirroring of the two drives on this machine ....

First thing you need is to have RAID1 support compiled into the
kernel, not loading from modules.  Seems reasonably simple, I'm using
the 2.4.18-bf2.4 default kernel image at present so I've:
got the kernel source: /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 (bunzipped & tar
   -xvf etc)
got the kernel headers which I'd got as kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
when I was working on the via-rhine driver issue
cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
make menuconfig (and put RAID and RAID1 into the kernel with "Y"s)
make deps
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0RAID kernel_image
dpkp -i ../ ... .deb

I move /lib/modules/2.4.18 to 2.4.18old as suggested during this
process ... do the lilo bit  and reboot ... and linux can't find
modules it wants ...

If I rename the old /libmodules back again: no improvement.

I've looked through /usr/doc/kernel-package and the README seems to
me to say that what I've done should have worked, and the
README.modules talks about /usr/src/modules and doesn't seem to me to
fit with the Debian directories and I'm baffled again.

PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org