From: Justin Guerin [mailto:jguerin@cso.atmel.com]
Sent: vrijdag 27 februari 2004 18:45
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: ron@ttvavanti.nl
Subject: Re: Install debian on raid system

On Friday 27 February 2004 08:21, ron@ttvavanti.nl wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to install debian on a raid system (Promise FastTrak s150
> sx with 3 SATA drives), I downloaded the netinstall iso and tried
> installing. Unfortunately the drivers for the raid card aren't there
> and I don't seem te be able to find them anywhere on the net (except
> for RH and SUSE). Could anyone please help as I'm completely stuck right
now?
> Thanks!
>
> Ron
>
> PS. Could you please cc any replies to me?

Hi Ron,

I don't know if support for your card is included in the kernel, but it
doesn't seem to be.  Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, since there's a Linux driver, you can get this to run.  You've
got some work ahead of you, though.  First, grab the drivers for either RH
or SuSE.  Also, grab the kernel source for the distribution you choose. At
this point, you might want to apply the Debian kernel patches, but caveat
emptor, as I don't know if this would be enough to break the kernel version
so that the driver won't load.  I don't think so, but I've never tried.
Compile the kernel, and follow the Debian installation instructions for
replacing the rescue / boot kernel with a custom kernel.  Place the
FastTrack driver on a driver floppy, also as per the Debian install
instructions.  Boot using your custom kernel, and load the driver off the
floppy.  From there, proceed as normal.  Don't forget to complain to the
card manufacturer for not releasing driver sources. ;-) Note that you will
be stuck using the version of the kernel the card vendor supports.

I'm not sure how different kernel versions can be before modules will stop
kernel, if you start with the right kernel version (It seems that your card
is supported for 2.4.18 and 2.4.20.).  The 2.4.18-bf24 kernel might work,
but I don't know.  Let us know how it goes.

Justin Guerin