Re: via-rhine (or rhinefelt) and VT6105/VT6103 driver problems with Debian stable

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:14:56 +0000
Chris Evans <chris1@psyctc.org> wrote:

> Can anyone help?  The only alternative I can see looming is to spend
> about a third as much as I paid for the entire machine on a totally
> unnecessarily fast quadport Intel card (I need three ports and only
> have one free PCI slot as the machine is so small).
>
> Sod, sod, sod: I'll take hardware compatibility more seriously in
> future won't I?!
>
> TIA,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris, is the card supported in a later kernel version? Say 2.4.24?

If it is, then there's no harm in getting the kernel source and using the make oldconfig to keep your existing kernel configuration and then adding in support for your card.

At least, that's the way I'd do it. I'm also used to using old hardware, so I always compile a custom kernel to reduce overheads due to lack of memory etc. My mail server is currently a dual Pentium 166 with 176MB RAM and my workstation is a Pentium Pro 200MMX with 160MB RAM. I'm dreading the day I can afford to get my hardware up to date  :-)

Of course, if the driver isn't available in any kernel, that's a different story.

HTH

Pete