Re: Exim4 and Message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:48:53 +0000
Charlie Grosvenor <charlie@cgrosvenor.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just upgraded to exim4 and now I cannot send large messages (50mb), I
> have increased the limit in the file:
>
>     /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/01_exim4-config_listmacrosdefs
>
>     MESSAGE_SIZE_LIMIT = 1000M
>
> and updated the main configuration file update-exim4.conf and restarted exim
> and it makes no difference. How do I go about getting rid of this limit?
>
> Thank you

Hi Charlie,

It may not be your server rejecting the message, unless of course it's rejecting the instant you try to send it.

Generally, most servers don't allow messages above 3, 5, or 10MB due to the load it imposes on the server.

The size of the email you are trying to send is huge, can you not break it up a bit?

I manage mail servers in a Windows environment at work (so my Linux mail server knowledge is quite limited) and I am constantly having to explain to users why 50, 100, 500MB email messages are not being sent or received.

Pete