Re: Asking for help: installing debian on Athlon needing nvidia driver

You should start a new thread for a new question.  You are more likely
to catch people that way, should they be cruisin'n'bruisin' by Subject in a
threaded reader.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:50:09PM -0800, Sis wrote:
>    I just acquired a 2 year old computer with Athlon 1800+
> motherboard, including an nvidia based NIC. I tried to install
> Debian using a CD that i normally use and, of course, it doesn't
> recognize the nic because the nvidia drivers are not provided. I
> then put in a 3C905 card to "temporarily" use to get to the network.
> But when i use the CD, the boot hangs and never gets to the
> installation. I remove the 3C905 and everything works again... of
> course, without the network! Argh.
>
>    Any clues as to how i can install Debian on this box, using the
> onboard nic, would be greatly appreciated.

Caveat: IANAG. I'm not sure how tight the ties are between the kernel
and BIOS on things like onboard NICs, but the first place I'd start is
in BIOS, looking to disable the onboard one.

Second idea is whether you know the card is hardwired to an irq which
conflicts directly with something else? (I used to have this happen
with ISA--don't know if the same may happen on PCI systems.)

Another thought would be to move the card physically to a different
slot.  There may be early confusion because of sharing the slot's
irq/id/whatever-it's-called-thingy with another, major subsystem such
as the video card or HD's.  (I remember reading something about this on
the AMD forum not too long ago.)

The Linux section on that forum seems relatively sharp about this sort
of stuff.  You might consider signing up ( www.amdmb.com and follow the
forum link) and posting the question there too.  They'll need much more
information about the MB, of course, as well as possibly the stock
kernel being used.  Others here likely could use that info as well. ;-)

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,