Re: Lightweight Alternative to Mozilla-Firebird

On February 27, 2004 07:17, Peter A. Cole wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if anyone can suggest a lighter weight alternative to
> Mozilla Firebird?
>

> So far, I think Galeon may be similar to Firebird, but I think it
> will want Gnome installed, which I definitely don't want to run.

There's Skipstone, but for some reason it does not appear to be in the
Debian repository anymore, which is unfortunate since it appears to be
what you're after - Gecko rendering, uses gtk without Gnome and without
all the XUL overhead of Firefox and Mozilla. It also has a decent slate
of modern browsing features - tabbed browsing, bookmark toolbar,
downloading via wget, configuration of mail handlers, etc. It may have
been removed since there have been no apparent updates since June 2002
- just a few months before Phoenix (now Firefox) was first released...

http://www.muhri.net/skipstone/

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations