activate modem remotely

I have several computers sharing a modem through a
gateway computer, the modem is activated through
dial-on-demand and connection is drooped by means of
timing out.  I would like to activate and deactivate
the modem with a command from the clients.  In theory
it would seem simple to activate and deactivate the
modem remotely.  Any input or suggestions would be
appreciated.  I have searched this topic for a while
and have not found any direction.

Have been using Debian full time for about a year and
love the process of learning the elegance Linux.