Re: X-problems: What do these two apps have in common?

On Friday 27 February 2004 10:10, you wrote:
> --- David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> > 1. Netbeans Java-IDE, after recent upgrade including
> > XFree86, immediately
> > kicks out the session. One logs in again to a new X
> > session. This is not the
> > same as control/alt/bksp since in the 2.6.2 kernels,
> > the mouse needs be
> > exercised a bit before it starts working. A new
> > session.
> >
> > (Note that OpenOffice does not have this problem.)
> >
> > 2. KDE KPackage, GUI front end for apt-get, etc.
> > This program still has a bug
> > that when run as root, will not actively do anything
> > and the work-around is
> > to run as another user--it then requests a root
> > login and works fine. Now ...
> >
> > Run as root, aside from its bug, works 100%. No
> > problem, simply go to a
> > console shell to do anything active.
> >
> > Run as other user, as soon as one starts browsing or
> > tries to do anything, it
> > kicks out the session. Again, a brand new login to a
> > brand new session.
> >
> > Run as a double-click on an associated .deb file,
> > works without a hitch.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> What's the message in your syslog? Is it:
> "gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting
>
> :0" ?

Here is a section of the syslog for the shutdown I just reproduced:

Feb 27 11:57:19 d_baron kdm[912]: Server for display :0 terminated
unexpectedly
Feb 27 11:57:21 d_baron kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
2,
 code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
Feb 27 11:57:21 d_baron kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't
ac
cess hardware directly.
Feb 27 11:57:21 d_baron kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
2,
 code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
Feb 27 11:57:21 d_baron kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't
ac
cess hardware directly.
Feb 27 11:57:27 d_baron ypbind[619]: broadcast: RPC: Timed out.

> If so, the problem could be similar to the one I
> reported yesterday with subject "Fatal X error: how to
> diagnose?".
> If it is the same problem then that narrows things
> down a lot because we're using different kernels (mine
> is 2.4.18-bf2.4). Does mplayer also kill your X
> session?

I do not have mplayer. I am, obviously, using kdm as a display/X-handler.
There are two other entries here of note:

atkbd.c unknown key -- No keys were pressed to run netbeans nor were any
pressed to restart until I typed my password to login. Note that this thing
traps a lot of stuff. When I succumb to temptation and run uhic-hcd, a tap on
the power switch will enable me to shut down. This is also flagged by
atkbd.c. The shutdown is not a correct shutdown.

ypbind[619] broadcast: RPC: Timed out. I have one of these every 74 seconds.
This was flagged on google (this time I checked) but no solutions. What is
it. This is apparently harmless but might as well fix it :-) I think there is
a bootup message relating to this as well.