How to change keyboard shortcuts for characters?

Hi everybody

I am about to learn swedish, and I'd like to write my vocabulary in text
files. So far I use a german locale, and there is no direct keyboard
shortcut (I know of) for the "å" character ("a" with a small "o" above).
I'd like to bind AltGr+a for this character, but it it is already used
for æ ("a melted with "e"), which I never used before. (what language
needs this sign, anyway? I only know of "œ" ("o" melted with "e") you
need in french).
How can I create this key binding? This must be defined somewhere in the
X config file jungle...

Thanks,
joerg

--