Re: sig dashes munged at master.d.o or Mutt issue?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:40:02PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:35:48PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> | I remember way back when, when I still thought transparent *terms were
> | cool, that running Mutt did strange things in one.  Like it would paint
> | parts of the window, and you could see the root pixmap through them, and
> | other parts not.
>
> This is a problem with your color config in mutt.  If you set the
> background to "black" (or "white") then the background will be solid
> and the root pixmap won't show through.  However, if you set it to
> "default" then mutt doesn't tell the term what color to use and the
> root pixmap will show.

Ahhh... is that what's going on?  That makes sense.  Fortunately I've come
to my senses and now do not ever use transparent terminals.  Something that
contrasts nicely with the neutral grey root pixmap I use is just fine.

> Note that if the terminal supposedly (as listed in terminfo) supports
> erasing with the background color, then the ncurses application will not
> draw all characters on the terminal but rather assumes that the term
> fills in the background correctly.

Yah, I checked this... xterm supports BCE.  I also tested with Eterm, which
I think doesn't.  Xterm won't let you highlight/select text that isn't
there, if you understand what I mean, while Eterm will happily let you
select the whole damn window even if there's no text in it, and deliver
spaces when you paste it elsewhere.

Eterm is really a *poor* terminal. ^_^

So since xterm won't highlight it, mutt didn't put it there to BE
highlighted/selected.  That's the problem.  WHY didn't it?

> | And it did trailing spaces then.  I distinctly remember that because I
> | thought it was really odd.
>
> FWIW, mutt 1.5.5.1-20040112+1 here doesn't do anything funny with
> trailing spaces and vim (my choice of pager) can display them if I
> tell it to.

Yes, vim displays them.  But I don't want to use vim as the pager.  That's
overkill.  What does mutt's pager do?

Actually I don't care about the trailing spaces per se, it's just that
they're there in the mbox file, and therefore I think mutt should be
drawing them, or it be documented that it doesn't.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Authors are easy to get on with -- if you're fond
 msw@cox.net |     of children.  -- Michael Joseph, "Observer"