Re: Impossible to unload ide-scsi and oss drivers

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:57:40 -0300
Toshiro <toshiro@internet.com.uy> wrote:

> I want to unload several modules from my system, I can unload them but
> when I reboot the modules are loaded again!!!

OK, just to clarify, because what you say above is different from your
subject line:  you *are* able to unload the modules.  It's just that
when you boot the next time, they load again, and you don't want them
to.  You want the unloading to be permanent.  Right?

As you've already checked /etc/modules . . .find out if you have the
"discover" package installed.  It's software that detects your hardware
and loads appropriate drivers; in the boot sequence, it runs before the
ALSA scripts do.  If so, the OSS modules are probably being inserted by
it.  You can edit /etc/discover.conf to prevent discover from loading
specific modules.

I'm not sure about ide-scsi -- I wouldn't have thought that discover
would mess with that, but you can check.  Check also your lilo.conf
or grub menu (depending on which you're using) to see if it's being
called for in the kernel boot arguments.  It might be helpful to look
at the logs of the boot process and see just *when* ide-scsi is
loaded, and what's going on in the boot process around then.  That
would give a clue as to what's doing it.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)