Re: Stolen debian logo?

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 01:30, Richard Hoskins wrote:
> David Clymer <david@zettazebra.com> writes:
>
> > So, if software or a logo is taken and used without permission (only
> > granted if the license is adhered to) it is effectivly stolen.
>
> What part of what license has been violated in this case?
>
> There are no provisos for asking permission or giving attribution in
> the GPL, for example.

from the GPL:
0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains a
notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under
the terms of this General Public License. The "Program", below, refers
to any such program or work, and a "work based on the Program" means
either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law: that is
to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it, either
verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another language.
(Hereinafter, translation is included without limitation in the term
"modification".) Each licensee is addressed as "you".

5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are
prohibited by law if you do not accept this License. Therefore, by
modifying or distributing the Program (or any work based on the
Program), you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all
its terms and conditions for copying, distributing or modifying the
Program or works based on it.

This indicates that my saying a work is licensed under the GPL, any user
thereof must abide by the GPL when using the work in ways addressed by
this license. One is explicitly denied permission to use the work in
ways which violate this license. Permission to use the work in
accordance with the license is implicit.

Copyright is roughly "the right to make a copy." If you are given
permission to make a copy of a work by the copyright holder, you may do
so. Most works are distributed too widely to go around granting
permission to everyone who wants a copy, so licenses are written which
give one a way to permit people to copy and use a work without the
copyright holder having to grant permission directly.

-davidc

ps. Please reply to the list. I'm subscribed.