Unidentified subject!

I installed some ham radio programs and accidentally also installed the
rspf daemon. Now the next time I booted my machine, it would get
stuck/hung starting rspfd and whatever I do, I couldn't get to the login
prompt.

Pressing Ctrl-C when init started didn't help. So, I booted with an old
2.2 kernel I had on my grub menu list. It didn't have proc support and
failed to load lots of modules including this rspfd and I got a single
user root prompt, mounted the root partion readonly. I remounted it rw and
ran update-rc.d to remove rspfd but at next reboot it's again there and
hung the machine.

Running apt-get remogve --purge or dpkg -r didn't help either. They both
gave errors and said they can't remove rspfd. So, I listed the files rspfd
had installed with dpkg -L and remove each of them manually. There was
nothing else I could have done I think.

But now while running apt-get or dpkg, I always get the error about not
able to configure rspfd. It's irritating, tho doesn't cause any problems.
How do I get rid of this message eveytime I install anything?

Secondly, where would I get to read about the init process in debian? I
mean like the update-rc.d thing. Which is the file that debian uses to
start things at startup other than /etc/rc.boot? Like the rc.local file in
RH/Mandrake?

Regards,
Deboo