Re: Can't uninstall rspfd [was: Unidentified subject!]

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:45:01PM +0530, Deboo wrote:
> I installed some ham radio programs and accidentally also installed the
> rspf daemon. Now the next time I booted my machine, it would get
> stuck/hung starting rspfd and whatever I do, I couldn't get to the login
> prompt.
>
> Pressing Ctrl-C when init started didn't help. So, I booted with an old
> 2.2 kernel I had on my grub menu list. It didn't have proc support and
> failed to load lots of modules including this rspfd and I got a single
> user root prompt, mounted the root partion readonly. I remounted it rw and
> ran update-rc.d to remove rspfd but at next reboot it's again there and
> hung the machine.
>
> Running apt-get remogve --purge or dpkg -r didn't help either. They both
> gave errors and said they can't remove rspfd. So, I listed the files rspfd
> had installed with dpkg -L and remove each of them manually. There was
> nothing else I could have done I think.
>
> But now while running apt-get or dpkg, I always get the error about not
> able to configure rspfd. It's irritating, tho doesn't cause any problems.
> How do I get rid of this message eveytime I install anything?

Well, I'm not sure why you couldn't apt-get remove it - hard to guess
without knowing what the error message was... Perhaps you could
reinstall it, then before you reboot, remove the symlink that starts
it on boot (see below...)

> Secondly, where would I get to read about the init process in debian? I
> mean like the update-rc.d thing. Which is the file that debian uses to
> start things at startup other than /etc/rc.boot? Like the rc.local file in
> RH/Mandrake?

Things are started by means of the scripts in /etc/init.d, which are
called by means of symlinks in /etc/rc?.d. First all the symlinks in
/etc/rcS.d are called, then all the symlinks in the directory
appropriate to the runlevel you're starting in, by default /etc/rc2.d.
The quick and dirty way to stop any service being started on boot is
to locate the appropriate symlink in the above directories, and delete
it. 'rm /etc/rc?.d/S??rspfd' should do the trick.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons