Re: Home Mail Server

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:51:41AM +1000, Peter A. Cole wrote:
> [...]

I've not followed this thread too closely.

Are you using exim4?  I'm not sure if this works with exim3 or not.

Are you letting exim rewrite the username?  If not, you should probably
do that.  Then have the mail client send the email with the From: header
with the local username.

At first I had my rewrite rule in the Rewrite section of the
exim{,4}.conf file.  It was doing what I think yours is doing, rewriting
the From: for ALL mails.

I then commented this line out and added two lines under "remote_smtp":

  headers_rewrite = dlb@localhost.localdomain dbree@duo-county.com f
  return_path = dbree@duo-county.com

I'm not sure if the "return_path" is necessary or not, but it doesn't
seem to hurt at least, and _could_ be needed anyway.

Note that I'm the only user, but you should be able to use a lookup rule
in the rules for multiuser systems.

Now, the rewrite happens only if you send mail out to the net.

One further note.  This is for smart_host usage, and not for direct mail
hosting.  But I'm sure that a similar rule could be implemented for
this, too.