Re: better mail organisation

* martin f krafft (madduck@debian.org) [040220 04:22]:
> One of last year's Sysadmin issues (or was it USENIX's ;login:?) had
> an article on mail organisation. The short story was that the guy
> had his mail system configured in such a way to automatically
> maintain a folder hierarchy of correspondents, where each such
> folder receives all mail exchanged (sent and received) with that
> correspondent.

Have you used mairix?  It's an excellent tool.  It generates indices
from your maildirs which you can then search to form what are sometimes
called "vfolders" or "search folders".  Its search options are tailored
to mail searches, for example, special handling for To: From: and Cc:
headers, date ranges, and (my personal favorite) threading.  For
example, I can ask mairix to search for keywords from a particular
message, and have it return me the entire thread.  The returned folder
is a maildir full of symlinks to the actual messages.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/