Re: /usr/src/linux symlink

Hello

Andy Firman (<andy@firman.us>) wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:48:03AM +0100, David Baron wrote:
>> Won't compile without it!  You will need one for
>> headers--./debian/rules based compiles as well. The things they don't
>> tell you ....
>
> Okay.  I have a question about this from the kernel README:

> INSTALLING the kernel:
>
>  - If you install the full sources, put the kernel tarball in a
>    directory where you have permissions (eg. your home directory) and
>    unpack it:
>
>                 gzip -cd linux-2.4.XX.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>
>    Replace "XX" with the version number of the latest kernel.
>
>    Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
>    incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library
>    header
>    files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
>    whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.
>
> This seams vague to me.  It says "area".  Shouldn't it say
> something like this???:
>
> "Do NOT use the actual /usr/src/linux directory as it is probably a
> symlink to another kernel-source!"

It is not on Debian systems. The includes belonging to the libc are in
/usr/include. There is no symlink /usr/src/linux pointing to them.

> So if one compiled a kernel from source, where are the "complete"
> kernel-headers anyway?

Somewhere in the source dir (e.g.
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.25/include). If you installed the headers
from a kernel header package (which you can create using make-kpgk
btw), they are in /usr/src/kernel-headers-$version.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976