Re: Congratulations

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:37:09PM -0800, mal icous wrote:
> Simply put the installation of Debian Woody can be at
> best be describbed as painfull. In fact so painfull i

Try Sarge.

> bootable etc. My complaint with that is - that i
> already had existing partitions, and Debians installer
> noted thism but it did not allow me to specify which
> directories needed to be mounted where. i.e. /dev/sda1
> = /var, /dev/hda1 = /boot etc etc

"Mount an existing Linux partition"

> To compound this this crap the key strokes / key
> squences to get whatever dependences installed drive
> me batsh1t and then mistakingly - after doing about
> 500 packages press enter at the worng time - and
> without confirmation (no going back either) the
> installation starts.

Yeah.  It sucks.  Don't install any package during setup except via
tasksel.  After setup, run apt-get install aptitude, and use that.
It's better.

Debian was a lot harder than Mandrake or Redhat or Suse.  Everything
that "just worked" over there required active learning on my part.  It
took me 1 month and about 15 clean do-overs to figure out how to get
all the eyecandy and all my hardware going.

Eh.  Whatcha gonna do.