Re: Installation of SEPLib on Debian Woody

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 01:56, Brad Camroux wrote:
> On February 18, 2004 11:38 pm, s. keeling wrote:
> > > Hmm... I don't know about alien... think I may have heard of it,
> > > but have never actually tried to use it.  I just tried to install
> > > using rpm -i
> >
> > Bad idea.  On Debian, use .debs.
>
> Okies... I just tried to do the alien thing, and it seemed to just
> freeze on me.  Does the conversion generally take a really long time?
> (It must have been over 20 min at the time I broke out of the
> command, and the .rpm file is only about 74MB.)

To convert from rpm to .deb, alien has to take apart the whole .rpm and
basically re-assemble it to a .deb.

74MB with tons of little files (which SEPlib has) will take quite a
while. It is basically re-packaging the every file and scripts used...
doing a myriad of other things... Anyway, a 74MB package is a Very big
package for Debian... typically the average package size excluding
things like source and the binary kernel image and so on. ~800KB. Very
well then.

To get lotsa feedback:

  alien --to-deb --scripts --verbose yurrpm.i386.rpm

Even more feedback:

  alien --to-deb --scripts --veryverbose yurrpm.i386.rpm

> I'm a little frustrated, because previous versions of the SEPLib
> package were _much_ easier to install from source.  They didn't
> require F90 or anything like that... it was optional..... <sigh>

Well, that is a choice they made. You will have to abide by it.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup