Re: DNS and Hostnames (was: Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?)

On 18 Feb 2004, Jacob S. wrote:

[snip]

> In your case, you want hostname -f to resolve to
> arcadia.acampbell.org.uk and mimosas.acampbell.org.uk. (Then, of course,
> you still have to have dns setup to point to the appropriate IP for each
> of those machines or you won't be able to ssh to them from the internet.
> Assuming that's your goal.)
>
> HTH,
> Jacob
>
> -----

I am indeed grateful to everyone for help with this. Following
suggestions received so far I've tried (for this computer) setting my
hostname to arcadia.acampbell.org.uk and putting the following in
/etc/hosts:

>-------cut-----------------
127.0.0.1 acampbell.org.uk localhost ac arcadia.acampbell.org.uk  accampbell.uklinux.net

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>--------------cut-------------

I'm not sure that the first line is right - any corrections please?

Related question to start of this thread: is ssh what I need?  The
situation is that I have two computers (desktop and notebook) connected
to the router and accessing the Internet independently. I want to be
able to exchange files between them. (Email would do at a pinch but I
can't see how to do that either.)

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic