Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?

On 18 Feb 2004, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-18, Anthony Campbell penned:
> > I'm trying to run ssh between two computers but I get:
> >
> > 	"connect to host port 22: Connection refused."
> >
> > I have portmapper turned off for security, but is it essential for
> > ssh?
>
> I don't know about this one, but I don't think so?
>
> > Also, what is the hostname I have to supply? The FQDN seems to be
> > acampbell.org.uk but this is the same for both computers, which
> > doesn't seem to be right.
>
> Two machines should not resolve to the same FQDN.
>
> --
> monique

Can you enlarge on this? One computer, hostname arcadia, resolves to
arcadia and (with hostname -f) to acampbell.org.uk.

The other, hostname mimosas, resolves to mimosas and (with -f) to
acampbell.org.uk.

So is something misconfigured?

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic