Re: default destination in exim?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 05:29:02PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> Yeah, that's on my to do list ... sort of.  exim 3 is working, and I'm a
> bit scared of screwing everything up when I move to exim 4.

Although I can't make any guarantees, it _should_ be safe to migrate to
exim4.  You can install exim4 and keep exim - at least you can in
testing.  Exim4 has its own config directory (exim4) in /etc, and its
own log directory in /var/log.

The biggest rub is that the exim{4}.conf files have several syntax
differences.  Not sure if it's included in the standard deb package, but
there are programs that will produce an exim4.conf based upon your old
conf.. There are comments in the new file stating that you should review
the new file and that you probably will need to make some changes.  I
don't know how complicated your system is, mine is pretty simple and
basic, but I didn't have many (if any) problems with the change, IIRC.
But if the new exim4 setup should not work, you could revert back to
exim3 by stopping the exim4 daemon and restarting exim3.