Re: Remote access PC support

Lionel VICTOR wrote:
Now I'm speaking theoretically 'cos I've never needed to try this out
but...
SSH can compress data. So, as the CPU is not the problem (i.e.:

[SNIP]

Well given that, the difference between theory and practice is that practice works... theoretically.

As any gamer knows though that compression can cause latency. When we're speaking of "lag" in general there are two things people talk about. The first is how long it takes a total update to get from point A to point B and the second being how long it takes an updates from point A to point B show up back at point A.

Compression helps the total data in one direction as it means less needs to be transmitted. However the compression adds 4 points of latency since there are two steps of compression/decompression for each update. So while the overall transfer may go up the responsiveness and thus the perceived lag of the application(s) goes down.