Remote access PC support

I have a question about remote access. One of my co-workers wants to know if I could provide support for there small network of PC's at home.  I have been reading about VNC and wondered about its security and speed.  I went to tightvnc and see info about using SSH as well.  Anyone using a setup like this and any concerns or other info I need to be aware of for use.  If it works I could use this on my parents PC.  Co-worker is on DSL fixed IP address and parents dialup-
Thanks

Darrell