Re: Remote access PC support

Steve Lamb a écrit :

Paul Johnson wrote:

Yup.  If every other system you're supporting is Linux, then SSH is
all you need (and it's X11 forwarding option is your friend).  If not,
you'll have to go with the much slower, much more insecure VNC.

Much slower? Erm on the LAN I've switched to using VNC for access to my X desktop because X was slower than VNC. I can't imagine SSH+X would be faster than VNC. :P

    Now less secure I'd grant you.

Now I'm speaking theoretically 'cos I've never needed to try this out
but...
SSH can compress data. So, as the CPU is not the problem (i.e.: bandwidth is the problem) It might be faster through the ssh tunnel indeed ! Just like it used to be faster to run a compressed binary from a floppy drive on the good old Atari or Amiga.

Well given that, the difference between theory and practice is that practice works... theoretically.