Re: Error Code whe using apt-get

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 10:17 pm, Kirby Walborn wrote:
> I am new to Debian and am having problems with the apt-get, dpkg
> system.  I have reinstalled the system 2 times and continuye to have
> the same problem. Whenever I try to install a package I get the
> following set of messages.
>
> dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> /sbin. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>
> The installation fails and I have no idea what is going wrong.  Any
> help would be appreciated.  Thanks

As the messges state, dpkg is expecting to find certain programs in root's
PATH, and it's not finding them.

Is root using the defaut shell (bash)? If not, what shell is root using?

What is the output of "/bin/echo $PATH" when run as root?

When you use dpkg or apt, do you log in as root, su to root, or use sudo?

Adam