Re: Remote access PC support

on Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:10:58PM -0800, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:00:29PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >     Running applications.
>
> That shouldn't make it slow, X is window-oriented, instead of
> just-take-a-jpeg-of-the-screen-and-cram-it-over-the-network-oriented.

X is action-oriented.  For a slow and/or high-latency connection,
there's a lot of back-and-forth.  Even where the actual data load isn't
high, the latency itself will slow things down a lot.  Moreso for apps
which are highly interactive.  Galeon and its tabs are notoriously poor
performers.

By contrast, VNC (and other "present local desktop remotely" solutions)
does a pretty good job of:

  - Sending updates on an as-needed basis.

  - Sending updates only of changed portions of the display.

  - Simplifying complex images.  There's a lot of optimization to be had
    by reducing color levels, dithering, and such.  Or you can disable
    gradients and complex desktop wallpapers.

  - Compressing the hell out of the xmitted images.

I've worked with VNC and several other technologies (radmin, WTS, and
another which fails to come to mind...).  For intermittent support work,
they are acceptable.  Wouldn't want to work on 'em full time though.

Peace.

    Linux: Good, fast, _and_ cheap.