Deb. installer - advansys scsi controller

Hey All,
     In short: I need to figure out how to install *any* current Debian image on my system.
     I've tried - 3.0R2 Disk 1 and 5 (default and bf2.4 respectively)
                    - netinst images - pretty much all of them
                    - Sarge Beta2 of Debian installer
     My Problem:
          I have an advansys 3940-uw (ABP940/U) scsi controller which is not recognized by the installer.. I get no hard disks found.  In expert mode on the sarge netinst, it detected my biosless Adaptec scsi controller, but not my Advansys.
           I have no floppy, and no where to get one, for all intents and purposes a floppyless system, so loading the modules from floppy is out.
           My DSL connection is via pppoe, which apparently none of the netinst images support either, at least not from the installer.

     What I do have:
          a fully functional usb harddrive which I can use as storage were I able to get it functioning by the installer.
          a realization that I'm not a guru, so may not have exhausted all possibilities of images, special boot arguments in the installer, etc., i.e. I may have missed something, but I doubt it.
          a decent knowledge of Linux, so I do not need to be spoonfed.

     What I'm looking for:
     A netinst or full install cd that supports the advansys controller.
     Explanation of where I screwed up on the images I do have and consequently missed the particular method of use necessary to access the controller.
     What steps I need to take to get my usb drive mounted in the installer so I can access the advansys module (I'm hoping the advansys.o module from 2.4.20 (from my local kernel) is the same as the one from 2.4.22 ( kernel from sarge netinst image))
     Any other suggestions that'll make my day a bit brighter with a tidy new debian install.

I sincerely hope someone is willing and able to help me, I'm at my wits end after almost three full (12-14 hr) days battling with this problem.  Thanks all,
Peace,
Secher

Jon Postel, you are missed.
http://www.isi.edu/div7/people/postel.home/