Hotplug problem while cold-pluging

Hello there,

I just subscribed the mailing list for this special question because I can't solve a recent problem while changing from kernel 2.4.21 to 2.6.2.

It concerns the cold-plug phase of the hotplug scripts, and, though I would find some related talks about the subject in various other mailing lists archives, none could really help me understand precisely what is going wrong.

I also tried to fix it up by myself by editing the scripts in /etc/hotplug but ended up on a "FIXME" commented line which seems to mean that the functionality I require may not be fully implemented yet. It says that PRODUCT and DEVICE variable are not adequately set (which is true, and seems to be the origin of my problem)

Well here's the story:

I have a sagem f@st800 dsl modem hooked up on an usb port. The drivers do not ship with debian packages so I compiled them myself from sources and installed the kernel module in /lib/modules/etc... I first used some scripts provided with the source code to fully install the device but I finally ended up doing it my own may as those scripts were not verbose enough for something I run with 'root' privileges (i.e.: I want to not WHAT is going WHERE when I mess up with my Debian !).

Then, there is a script in /etc/hotplug/usb/ that should be executed and that downloads firmware to the modem. It is mandatory before anything else.

Of course, I edited the usb.usermap file and it looks ok (as you will see)

Now if I unplug, the plug the deviceback , everything is OK. The driver is loaded, the script is called, the UNPLUGSCRIPT is registered and called if i unplug the device again... It really works great... This is why I believe the script that loads the firmware is working and that the usb.usermap file is well formed.

but,
Nothing happen when I boot up the computer. You can easily undestand that in case of a power outage, I really need the modem to get back on line without someon unplugging then plugging back the usb plug !

see that's pretty anyoing stuff...

Are there any hotplug cracks here ?

BTW, hotplug sees my modem during coldplug but does not call the adequate script. During this coldplug phase, all PRODUCT strings are "0/0/0" which surely does not help loading the good driver... but the usb.rc script defines them like this.

Well I'm stuck... any idea or more recent script welcome.

I'm running a 2.6.2 kernel with devfs support, /proc support, /sys filesystem, and usb fs support as well... I must admit that I am quite confused by all this mess around with /sy/bus/usb, /proc/bus/usb and so on... many things seems duplicated, and... well It is was more clear to me, I guess I would not request for help ! ?

;o)

many thanx in advance