Re: Dual boot

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

Has anyone set up Debian on a machine that dual boots with Win2K? If so, are there any "gotchas" that I ought to be aware of?

I've done it several times, with no real issues.

I've also done it several times with WinXPPro, but just this week I've been fighting such a beast on a Dell GX270 that is causing me no end of grief.

First, the video chipset doesn't appear to be supported in the version of X shipping in unstable; the best I can do is 640x480 at decent color depth, or 8-bit color at 1024x768.

Secondly, and more to your question, I've got a 2GB partition with DOS/Win95 (Win95 doesn't run except in Safe Mode on these machines, btw, I guess because of hardware being too new), followed by a 15GB partition with WinXPPro, followed by a 15GB spare partition (was going to experiment with VMWare), followed by several Linux partitions (/, usr, usr/src, etc (no, I mean 'et cetera', not '/etc' :-) )).

I can get all the OSes installed and working, but as soon as I run lilo to fix the mbr, WinXP becomes unbootable; the drive letter changes from D: (which is how WinXP installed) to E:. I've been unable to repair XP in any way except to do a clean install. The clean install works fine, until I re-run lilo to fix the mbr, and then the drive letter in XP shifts again and XP again becomes unbootable.

I know it's not really the hardware's fault, but it sure is easy to blame it, because I can't run X on it, it won't run Win95, and I can't keep Debian and WinXP on it (not that _I_ want XP on the box, but it needs to be multiboot for Helpdesk purposes, which is where the PC is going). Stupid Dell.

--
Kent