Re: mixing apt-get and aptitude

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:41:49PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 09:13:28AM -0600, David said
> > However, it seems that aptitude always exits with status 0 regardless of
> > what's happened.  FWIW, I've filed a wishlist bugreport in this regard.
>
> Ah, cool.

Well.. I _just now_ did.. didn't get my first report formatted right..
but I've just received acknowledgement that the report has been received
- bug #233129

> > Now, would it be the same to use apt-get for at least the update
>
> Yup.

I believe that I've already seen that aptitude will use apt-get's
updates, so this would be OK.

> > , or
> > perhaps even the -d upgrade?
>
> Yes, but apt-get won't notice that aptitude has some packages on hold.

It's something like that which I was concerned about.  IIRC, when I
first tried aptitude upgrade on apt-get's dloads, it first reported that
it would have to download the (already-downloaded) packages, but went
ahead and used the files in /var/cache/apt/archives anyway.

> > It seems that apt-get upgrade does not
> > show up in dselect, and I wonder if there would be any probs between
> > apt-get and aptitude..
>
> You need "dselect update" for dselect to see new things.

Yes, I found that out.  However, apt-get _will_ use the info that
dselect gets without redownloading.  The only problem I've found with
trying to use dselect to update is that if an error occurs, dselect will
report an error and then wait for a keypress - not good for a script :-)
and I've not been able to find any option that will get around this.

I hope this exit status thing will be fixed.  I think it would be very
helpful for situations like mine.