Re: Creating a hardware Firewall

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:49:54AM -0500, Bojan Baros wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am looking into creating a firewall for my home network.  So far I
> have a simple Internet router (Netgear) that protects my win and deb
> boxes, but I would like to replace it with something more substantial.

	I did the job with Libranet 2.7 on an old Pentium 133 with 3 network
boards.  Firestarter did the best job of creating an iptables script.  I did
a little hand-hacking on the script afterward to convert it from 2 networks
to 3, so both internal networks are masqueraded to the external network.  I
can send you a copy if you want.
	Besides firewalling, the box is also the network print server and a
primary master name server for the local hosts and a caching name server for
the Internet.  It's also set up as a local mail server, but that's not in
use yet.  Most of the time I administer it with ssh from my main
workstation.