Re: net-radio and firewall

Adam Aube wrote:

On Monday 16 February 2004 03:27 pm, mikael backman wrote:
Adam Aube wrote:
Since this list is for users of Debian GNU/Linux, and not Netgear's
network devices, you'll probably find better help there.

Yes but I do use Debian testing. Since netradio works fine with the
firewall in Freebsd5.2 I tought,maybe there was something I could tweak
in Debian to get it to work.

Okay. If you use the same client program on FreeBSD and Debian to access netradio, you can check the settings on the FreeBSD client and compare them to the settings on the Debian client for any differences.

Another thing you can check is ECN, which is a TCP extension that sometimes causes problems with broken TCP/IP stacks that don't implement it properly or at all.

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

This will show you the value of the setting. 0 is off, and 1 is on. If it's on, try turning it off, like this (do this as root):

echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

If that works, you can set it to be permanently off by adding this line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net/ipv4/tcp_ecn=0

Adam

Thank you for the advice. Alas tcp_ecn was already set to 0.
I used the same client,Reaplayer8 on FreeBSD as I use now on Debian.
On FreeBSD I just used the default settings. Same on Debian.
If I open preferrences in Realplayer there is a tab called transport
where I can specify settings for RTSP and PNA protocols. I can also specify
UDP port. I don't know anything about this... Could this be the problem?
regards Mikael