Re: Holy Shee-it

I would have to wonder what possible benefit would be derived from this.

True, MS Word/Office is one of the biggest things which keeps desktop users dependent on Windows (or Mac too of course). But running Office, already a program with less than stellar stability in my experience, under some form of Windows emulation (crash multiplier) doesn't sound like the best idea.

The same effort would be better spent if it were put into helping to improve OpenOffice. OO already does an excellent job of reading/writing Office documents... much better than moving files back and forth between Pagemaker and Word in fact.

On Feb 15, 2004, at 9:15 PM, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On 2004-02-16, Christian Schnobrich penned:
On Son, 2004-02-15 at 19:35, Paul Johnson wrote:

Yeah, no kidding.  I've gone and posted that up on my
website...that's just bizarre.

[btw, for all that didn't follow the link: it says there's to be a
Microsoft Office for Linux]

But provided by IBM, not MS, right?  (At least, that's what I recall
from the slashdot summary ... I confess to not reading the details.)

Hmmm. Reminds me of something I read years ago: if Linux gains some
distinctive market share, Microsoft almost has to provide ports.  My
technical terms leave me here... was it "due diligence"?  It's
certainly not easy to explain to the shareholders that, say, 10% of
the market are ignored on purpose.

cu, Schnobs

--
monique