Re: downloading dependency files

Chris writes:
On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 22:28, lsrwein@mail.central-ph.k12.mo.us wrote:
Osamu Aoki writes: > Hi, > > On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:02:34PM -0600, lsrwein@mail.central-ph.k12.mo.us wrote: >> Paul Johnson writes: >> >> >On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:00:34PM -0600, >> >lsrwein@mail.central-ph.k12.mo.us wrote:

>> >Use apt instead of trying to do it by hand. > > Slightly better but, for most novice Debian user, this is even > dangerous unless you understand the consequence of mixing distribution. > >> *******************************************
>> Yes, but I want to install an unstable package on stable
>> debian. > > I recommend you to move whole system to "testing" or "unstable" and > cross your fingers :-) You may be lucky. > >> It seems like the best way to do it is using dpkg -i.
>> I've tried apt-pinning where you are supposed to be able to
>> use apt-get to mix and match installs from testing and unstable,
>> but, in actual practice, it hasn't worked out very well for me.
>> I end up with a broken system.
> > This is good tool to fix minor dependency deviation but for your times
> worth, just upgrade to unstable after checking mailing list for no major
> issues reported. > >> In collecting all the needed .debs it takes some time and patience
>> in order to determine which ones should be installed first.
>> Just wondered if there was an easier way. > > Have you checked some basic documentation on apt-get manpages such as
> apt_preference and other documentations? You will lean that you can
> achieve what you say by setting system to mostly testing and use
> occasionally -t option to install from unstable.  But this is very
> tricky. I really recommend just stay with unstable or testing for now. > > Osamu
> PS:  If you insist, read chapter 6 of my document for more
>       http://qref.sf.net
Thanks for the help.
It may be better to completely move to unstable.
Do many people use unstable for production systems?

No, I think not.
I'm not sure what you have done. I run a woody server with a few
backports and have no problems. If you did do dpkg -i , you don't seem
to understand the process.
You need to add the apt-source to /etc/apt/sources.list, in this case:
# spamassassin backport
deb http://www.backports.org/debian woody spamassassin
then 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get install spamassassin' should
work, i.e. install spamassassin including dependencies.
Chris
Thanks!
I didn't know that.
So that would mean that future