Re: downloading dependency files

Osamu Aoki writes:
Hi,
On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:02:34PM -0600, lsrwein@mail.central-ph.k12.mo.us wrote:
Paul Johnson writes: >On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:00:34PM -0600, >lsrwein@mail.central-ph.k12.mo.us wrote:
>>Is there an easier way to go about collecting dependencies?
>
>Use apt instead of trying to do it by hand.

Slightly better but, for most novice Debian user, this is even
dangerous unless you understand the consequence of mixing distribution.
Yes, but I want to install an unstable package on stable
debian.

I recommend you to move whole system to "testing" or "unstable" and
cross your fingers :-) You may be lucky.
It seems like the best way to do it is using dpkg -i.
I've tried apt-pinning where you are supposed to be able to
use apt-get to mix and match installs from testing and unstable,
but, in actual practice, it hasn't worked out very well for me.
I end up with a broken system.

This is good tool to fix minor dependency deviation but for your times
worth, just upgrade to unstable after checking mailing list for no major
issues reported.
In collecting all the needed .debs it takes some time and patience
in order to determine which ones should be installed first.
Just wondered if there was an easier way.

Have you checked some basic documentation on apt-get manpages such as
apt_preference and other documentations? You will lean that you can
achieve what you say by setting system to mostly testing and use
occasionally -t option to install from unstable.  But this is very
tricky. I really recommend just stay with unstable or testing for now.
Osamu
PS:  If you insist, read chapter 6 of my document for more
http://qref.sf.net
Thanks for the help.
It may be better to completely move to unstable.
Do many people use unstable for production systems?
-Rick