Re: Ext3 journaling errors

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 06:16:07AM +0000, Nathan <nathan@midcoast.com> wrote:
> Feb 14 00:23:12 herby kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> Feb 14 00:23:12 herby kernel: hda4: rw=0, want=1940101904, limit=24418800
> Feb 14 00:23:12 herby kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> Feb 14 00:23:12 herby kernel: hda4: rw=0, want=1667988256, limit=24418800
 I got those for some time. Still has some problems with ext3 on my
laptop, but it may be hw related as my notebook is a s**t.

> However, when I shut the system down or unmount any of the partitions,
> all modifications since the system was turned on are gone.
 That's odd. :(

> If I run fsck
> on the unmounted partitions, fsck says that there is journal data, but
> the recovery flag is clear. It then asks if I want to clear the journal
> and neither yes or no seem to do anything to change the output.
 Do you try it with the -f switch? Also, you may try to fsck the
partitions as ext2.

> Am I SOL, or is there a journaling bug of some sort in 2.6.2/Unstable
> right now?
 I heard something that 2.6.2 is very buggy with ext3, but can't confirm
on this. My desktop machine is all right, and my laptop has the same
problems since 2.4.23 AFAIKR.

> Also, is there a way to manually apply a journal file to a
> partition?
 tune2fs -j /your/hdd
/GCS